Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Think Right


I need a French driver’s license and, because I am American, I am facing written and road tests. For European Union and Australian expats, you are able to saunter into your local Préfecture, surrender your current drivers license, and receive your French drivers license sans the testing. I find this exchange with the EU and Australians bizarre because I have been driving, as the French do, on the right side of the road! I have a British friend that drives with a yellow post-it note indicating THINK RIGHT on the center of the steering wheel. This reminds me that some left side of the road drivers do find the right side ''odd'' and, more importantly, I remember to wear a seatbelt in their car.


The good news for Americans is that your license is exchangeable for a French license if it is from one of the following states: Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia. In case I missed a state, please ask your local Préfecture if your license is exchangeable. If you are able to exchange your license, you have one year from the date you entered France: the date stamped on your passport or Carte de Séjour, to make the exchange.

The bad news for me is that Minnesota is not one of the reciprocal states. Consequently, I must go through the process of getting a French license rather than going through the enviable motions of an exchange.

First, I located and registered at a driving school. I purchased the drivers manual and a CD with practice tests for the written exam. I also added an additional hour to my weekly French lessons to expedite my knowledge of French! Apparently, there are some driving schools in metropolitan areas that offer classes in English and a translator may also be available, but exams are in French. Check with the driving school regarding exam and class fees, as the cost will vary.
The written test has forty multiple-choice questions. You have thirty seconds to answer each question and a minimum score of 35 correct is required to pass the test. Sometimes it seems I need thirty minutes to pass one question and I am certainly far from a passing score.

The driving test is approximately twenty minutes. Driving schools offer classes to prepare you for this test. Again, check with the school regarding fees. I heard that preparing for the driving test is much more difficult than the written test. Yippee.

One day, when I have my French license, I will celebrate a benchmark of learning French and success getting through another life in France challenge. I may be in awe of my French license because of the odd road to obtain it. I may also carry, just as a reminder of course, THINK RIGHT post-it notes for my Left Side of the Road Driver Friends.





For further information on obtaining a French license:
www.frenchentree.com/
www.expatica.com/
www.americansinfrance.net/

2 comments:

Mindi said...

"Think Right"! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just can't stop laughing. So funny. (Love you!)

Anonymous said...

Keep the blog coming, we love it...we feel very connected ...


Good Luck with the Driving Test saga.