Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cours de français


Learning French has NOT been quick, easy or all that much fun for me. I struggle with it nearly every day; asking for goods or services, reading a menu, even answering the telephone has become an act of bravery.
Today I drove to the vet clinic to pick up cat food. (spoiled cat). I tried very hard to relax while driving, carefully reading the French road signs and obsessively watching my speed. I just could not bear speaking with a French police officer over a speeding ticket or anything else. Safely parked, I entered the clinic feeling only a trace of apprehension.
After greetings were exchanged, the receptionist asked me to spell my name. I love it when that happens because I am delighted that I can spell in French. Ha! Well THAT bubble burst quickly when I realized she didn't understand me. I tried again (tried to ditch the American accent, ha ha). But, just when I thought I would need a tool to scrape my self-esteem off the floor, the receptionist enthusiastically replied, ''oui, oui, bien sûr, vous êtes ici !'' (yes, yes, of course, here you are). She found my details on the computer. Turns out they had our name spelled incorrectly. Well who spelled it wrong in the first place? (HINT: it was not me) So there. I left the clinic with a 3.5 kg bag of cat food, sufficient self esteem and a slightly puffed up ego.
Don't worry too much about my inflated ego. I fully expect to be immersed in humility later this afternoon during my French lesson. This will be my first lesson with Lucette. I'm still having my lessons with CP every week, but, I REALLY need more than one hour of French learning a week. And maybe another book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An "A" for effort (and tenacity) is in order for you, Pam.