Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Book Mark

Tucked back on a quiet road
leading to the center of Malestroit,
a garage door becomes the entrance
to my sanctuary: The Book Mark.

Here is where I enter the English word, both written and spoken. It is British English, but it is English, and that comforts me. Well, let's face it, ''British English'' is quickly becoming my second language. Crikey!

Once inside I can count on a warm welcome, delightful grin and bisous from Alan. Today, when Alan saw my camera, he jumped (no kidding) back a few feet to strike an enthusiastic pose!
How can you not love that?


I can select 4 books in exchange for the 6 books I brought in today. I always look at Today's Arrivals first. I am filled with joy to be surrounded by these books and slightly overwhelmed by the selection lining the walls.


Today I was looking for what I call the Easy Read: make me laugh and I don't want to think too much about it. Alan explained that the Book Mark is divided into 2 sections. On the left, there is passion and on the right, crime. Erma Bombeck is not here but Alan helped me through the Passion section to find the funny stuff. We agreed the Crime section was not going to offer what I was looking for.


Alan recommended authors Tom Sharpe and David Nobbs and I chose Madeleine Wickham. From the Today's Arrival table, I took blink. I know, not exactly humor, but I'm an easy target for one word book titles.



I stopped at a picnic area on the way home for no other reason than to just stop. Seems the countryside here has a way of pulling me into it.


I felt a little sad to leave this spot... but knowing it's there, and looking forward to reading about 1500 English words makes all right in the world.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Book Mark well but I never could have described it so well! I felt I was re-experiencing the fun of visiting it.
Yes, and there's something about books on picnic tables that says "relax" and enjoy the day......

Anonymous said...

We often take for granted the most meaningful things in life. Your words and insight bring us back to the deeper context with purpose, and yes, humor. Thank you Sis!

Anonymous said...

What an inviting, warm, comfortable place! You get to the essence of it with your beautiful writing. Loverly!!!
xxx and ooo...Auntie Beatsy