Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Today


!



I must say it felt odd to cast my vote via the postal service. There was no standing in line on a November morning. Although I did stand in line at the post office. Still, the weather today is nothing like a Minnesota morning in November. There was no checking in at the voter registration desk. I ticked that box myself. There was no glancing through a line of voters for people I may recognize or shoot the breeze with while waiting my turn. There is no media today to announce the Voting Day news. Just the ticking of our clocks in the solitude of my home with a simple ballot form and a black pen.


More importantly, much more importantly, I voted. And I voted as an expat. More than ever, my vote does count and today, it becomes much more meaningful both personally and publicly.

On a personal level, my view of this election is much more global. Literally. How am I, an American living in France, impacted by this election, the issues, American politicians? That also becomes a public matter. Within my French community, which includes a sizeable number of Brits as well, I am the only American. Political questions, comments and opinions flow between us...sometimes we disagree, most of the time we agree. That doesn't matter so much. What does seem to matter is the one thing we all agree on...the change that could, rather needs, to happen in America, will impact the entire world.

I know that France is watching. All of Europe is watching. I believe the world is earnestly watching America right now. I hope you believe in your ability to bring change to America. Vote...vote for change...our world is counting on it.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

yes please vote...and for change...it is so frustrating for the rest of us who can do nothing