Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Coffee Breaks Are The Best

I went to work today. Well, not exactly work work. It may be more accurate to say I went to a place of work.
Our main computer has been taken away (I'm still in a state of trauma from that) for clean up and whatever they have to do to make it all okay....technical stuff. I'm left with internet connection but even that remains questionable and this laptop is just barely functioning. Be still my heart!
Meanwhile I have an article to write and a deadline is staring at me. What to do? I did the logical thing (is that a surprise?) and went to the magazine office to write my piece.
I arrived around 10 am. I believe all work should start around that time. I discussed my assignment with the editor and guess what happened after that....hurrah! coffee break time! (this of course supports my rationale for starting work around 10 am: just in time for the 10:30 break)
After our break, we situated ourselves at computers and quietly went about our business. It was really really really quiet in that office. I wanted to clear my throat or cough or something like that but I didn't dare. (said noise might have scared the staff, or me)
Luckily I forgot about the quiet rather quickly and got into writing. I did, however, feel a sort of pressure bubbling up around me as the realization that I was sitting in an office, a place of work, took hold of my thoughts. Has it not been an eternity since I sat in an office? I was just starting to think about the strangeness of it all and YAY, coffee break! Never mind that I was already feeling a wee bit too much caffeine in my system...workers need their coffee breaks and who am I to not join in on that?
Okay, after that break, I definitely needed to focus. And I did. I was feeling great about my progress, nearly done, just a bit more and OOPS. I lost the article. Lost. Deleted. Wiped Out. Gone gone gone. Words flew freely from me that I didn't even know I knew. Not very lady like words. So much for the quiet. I kicked up a storm and when it blew over I tossed it around some more. Everyone else kept working. My request for a coffee break broke their silence and off we went for another coffee break.
I ended up staying for lunch. Something I hadn't planned on but I also hadn't planned on losing my document. Oh, lunch at work...we had a 3 course meal and a glass of wine. Coffee and dessert followed that. Much better than the sandwich I would have had at home. I felt guilty for awhile about having such a fine lunch knowing that Tony, Brian and Rosemary were at home probably picking at sandwiches. (I wonder if a minute counts as ''awhile'')
Fortified from such a fine lunch - and the glass of wine might have helped too - I was able to complete my article fairly swiftly after lunch. I took care of the necessary (but only two!) corrections from the editor, joined everyone in a coffee break, and called it a day.
Driving home from the office today, I concluded that I do not miss going to work, or even being at work. An occasional work day is good and coffee breaks are without a doubt the best. When I do have work days, I will always start around 10am and end around 3pm and I will always enjoy a 90 minute 3 course lunch. I will remember to press Save every two seconds. And next time I will most definitely positively for sure maybe remember to drink decaf.

1 comment:

French Fancy... said...

It must be about six years since I have sat in an office, well apart from the one we have in our sous-sol but as it is ours it doesn't count. It's not the same as swapping holiday photos, nipping out early to pick up a sandwich, leave early to catch the train, ring in sick.