Thursday, November 6, 2008

Color Blind

Yesterday we had lunch hosted by French friends, along with two British and two French guests. Another Rule had to be broken: Do Not Speak Politics. How could I not? It was the day after the most exciting election in American history! Naturally I stated my joy about our President-elect. The French hosts raised their glasses and we all toasted Barack Obama. I thought this was awesome. And then a guest (British) seated next to me said, ''Obama is not black''. I was surprisingly well-behaved (I have Minnesota Nice roots) because I wanted to smack him a good one across the jaw but instead replied, what is he then? British guest said, ''He's American. When are you people going to be color blind? When can this not be about race?'' Whoa... not black and You People? Barely hanging on to my Minnesota Nice roots, I finished my glass of wine and responded:


America is celebrating the first, how would you like me to say this - Not Both Parents of White Skin (?) President-elect Barack Obama. Guest laughed and I continued:


Seriously. This is a tremendous event in our history. I can and I do feel proud that an enormous racial barrier has been broken. This is a monumental moment to celebrate. I think our President-elect demonstrates to America, and to the rest of the world, that we chose the best candidate for the presidency and that race did not prohibit his candidacy or his victory. You see, yes, it is about race and, no, it is not about race.


One day, perhaps in another generation or two, there will be a level of diversity in American government that will prompt people to wonder what it was like in 2008 when the FIRST African American became President.


Thanks for listening.


Oh look, my glass is empty. Please pass the white wine...it was made with black grapes. Cheers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commentary on racial colorblindness from a Briton?

Hilarious.

-SiL

Pam said...

Wish you had been there, SiL.
xx

Ksam said...

See, I think it's a generational difference. I was in Belgium on election day, watching the BBC and I was really irritated that they kept repeating "America has elected it's first BLACK president". For me, the fact that he's black is just such a non-issue. I understand why it's important and why people are making a fuss, but I just don't think it should be an issue in today's day and age.

Pam said...

Well said, Sam. It is a generational thing for sure! I remember the assassination of Kennedy, M L King's I Have A Dream speech...too many events in my life time actually, but, these are the very events and experiences that make this ''an issue''.

It is a great joy that your generation has and will continue to experience a different day and age...so that, eventually, for all people, it will indeed be a non-issue!