Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Petit a petit

We have B&B guests every day this month and Brit friends arrive tomorrow and our social calendar is rather full and I have a heap of French lessons to study and we are hosting our first B&B Garden Party soon and did I mention we have B&B guests every day this month?
This morning, after the breakfast dishes, Rosemary and I cleaned the Master Suite and tossed the bedding and towels into the washing machine. Yeah, I know, how bad (or should that be great?) is it that our B&B guests help with the washing up, cleaning of their room and laundry?
Upon completion of the Morning Tasks, I went across the street to visit my French friend Florence. Her English is limited, as is my French, but, somehow we manage. Florence brewed two cups of strong - very strong - coffee...the kind of coffee that, for me, requires a large lump of sugar and high caffeine tolerance. We sat at her kitchen table, talking slowly, choosing our words carefully. Although it is a challenge to develop friendships with this language barrier, it is also a motivating factor to get on with learning French! Florence is kind and patient and in fact the only female in our community that has overtly reached out in friendship with me. For that, I am both deeply touched and very grateful.
Tony and I had a leisurely lunch in Carentoir at one of our favorite places, Le Narval, with Brian and Rosemary. Knowing that tonight would be ''scraps'', aka left-overs, we all chose a three course meal. I had a duck pate starter, traditional galette and green salad with a small assortment of cheese. By the time we returned from lunch, I had to scramble to get the laundry ironed, folded and put away before my French lesson with Lucette. I'm supposed to have a one hour lesson but it's usually closer to two hours because, surprise!, I am a bit of a class clown. Which, by the way, is difficult to accomplish when I am the class. Lucette says I'll be speaking French well by the end of This Year. I did remind her that it is August, only four months left in This Year! Hmmmm.


Petit a petit et un jour...
I will speak French well
and
ask Florence for a cup of tea...!

No comments: